lynx-dev

Re: Getting more developers (was Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx v2.7.2 release)

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: Getting more developers (was Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx v2.7.2 release)
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 12:30:28 -0800 (PST)

> From address@hidden Wed Dec 31 10:59:05 1997
> Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 13:27:27 -0500 (EST)
> From: Andrew Kuchling <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Getting more developers (was Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx v2.7.2 release)
> Sender: address@hidden
>
>       Lynx is suffering badly from a lack of developers; there
> aren't very many people working on it--Foteos, Thomas Dickey, the
> intermittently-available Klaus Weide are the primary ones (apologies
> to anyone I've forgotten), along with people who make occasional
> contributions--and most of the critical things on the TODO list, such
> as table support, CSS, scripting, would be very labour-intensive,
> requiring significant amounts of new code and restructuring of
> existing code.  FM, TD, and KW don't have the time to do these large
> projects.  I have no idea how to encourage people to hack on Lynx,
> unfortunately.
>
>       Web browsers don't seem to do very well as free development
> projects; there are several stagnant X11 browser projects, too
> (Mnemonic, Grail, various continuations of Mosaic and Arena
> development).  Perhaps most people are content with Netscape or Lynx
> as they are, and don't care.
>

>       Andrew Kuchling
>       address@hidden
>       http://starship.skyport.net/crew/amk/

I myself would be willing to travel somewhere for a
CLASS on lynx-hacking -- assuming someone would provide
floorspace for sleeping bag, etc.

We could each bring a printed copy (stack) of the code.

Seems as if there is a HUGE amount to learn, to be
able to hack lynx: not just the (at least one time,
uncommented) code, but the rules about html, http,
mime, etc, etc, etc.