lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Windows Lynx help files?

From: bonkers
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Windows Lynx help files?
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 05:30:19 +0000

Jim Spath wrote on 5 Mar

| On Thu, 5 Mar 1998, Al Gilman wrote:
| > to follow up on what Jim Spath said:
| > > I've been using Lynx-Win32 quite a bit and can see the need for
| > > Windows help screens for new users.
| > > I downloaded the help compiler and played with a bit.  So far,
| > > I haven't come up with a rational scheme of going from some raw
| > > text format such as HTML or nroff and feeding it through
| > > filters to get .HLP files.
| > There are tools sold that do this, but...
| > Are you sure you want to do it with .hlp files?  Is Windows
| > Help any advantage over .htm files played with Lynx?  Isn't
| > Microsoft retiring the .hlp format in favor of HTML?  Or do you
| > want to do screen shots?
| > > I'm willing to help create and test such help files...
|
| I'm thinking of simple "getting started" help, for those users who have
| Windows experience, but haven't installed Lynx yet.  After that, they can
| be led to the HTML through Lynx.  We should wean them from graphics
| browsers right away :-)

Actually, I was thinking of HTML help files in way of those like the
current
ones for UNIX and VMS.
" Getting Started" help is IMHO the most essential part as that is where
most
people seems to have problems. I couldn't figure out how to get Lynx to
start
up properly for about 2 weeks until it hit me that I had to write a batch
file.

Kenneth Kwok
address@hidden
http://home.pacific.net.sg/~ah_kwok/