lynx-dev

LYNX-DEV Goto URLs history list bug in lynx-2.7.2

From: Randall
Subject: LYNX-DEV Goto URLs history list bug in lynx-2.7.2
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 1998 11:51:07 -0800

I just installed lynx-2.7.2 and I have run across a bug where the G/oto
history list contained the wrong item.  Specifically, i did...

        g ftp.gnu.mit.edu

Oops, not quite the right hostname, need to edit to ftp.gnu.ai.mit.edu.
When i 'g' again and hit up arrow, i get

        file://localhost/home/randall/ftp.gnu.mit.edu

one of the guesses that lynx tried for 'ftp.gnu.mit.edu', rather than what
i typed.  Unless the guessing is successfully, the history list should
contain exactly what i typed (which will be a better base for me to edit),
not an incorrect guess.

I can reproduce the behavior by concocting a slightly "mis-typed" URL, e.g.
wig.mit.edu, why.rahul.net, www.stanford.emu, whatever.

Specific version of lynx:
I built lynx-2.7.2 of 1998Jan06 + 272fixes of 1998Feb07 + lynx272SSLeay
for Slackware 3.0 Linux 2.0 on i586, with 'make linux-ncurses' and very minor
tweaking.

The good news is that after upgrading to 2.7 I can now go to SSL and FRAME'd
sites with lynx, the fastest and easiest browser i've found.  Thank you to the
lynx developers for writing this most excellent browser.

=randall   <address@hidden>