lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV lynx.cfg & 2-8

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV lynx.cfg & 2-8
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 1998 16:19:04 -0500 (EST)

> 980307 Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > The quick fix is just to remove  config.cache
> > so that the configure script doesn't remember what it last determined.
>
> no, don't do that!  it really does save time for most users.
> if you can't fix  configure.in  today quick'n'easy,
> at most add something somewhere in  INSTALLATION  to complement the warning
> to  make clean , but telling folx to remove  config.cache  if necessary.
well - take a look at my last change to INSTALLATION and see if that looks
ok (I'm working on ncurses right now while I await feedback on 2.8pre.5):

     NOTE:  Configure has a number of useful options.  Please see below.

+    NOTE:  The 'configure' script generates auxiliary files "config.status"
+    "config.cache" and "config.log".  Normally you will not notice these;
+    they are created automatically and removed by a "make distclean".
+
+       + If you wish to rebuild Lynx with a new host, or change ANY of the
+         parameters which are stored in config.cache, you MUST first remove
+         the config.cache file before running configure; its options do NOT
+         override the settings in that file.
+
+       + The config.status file is a script which creates (or regenerates) the
+         files created by the configure script.
+
+    Please report problems in the configure/make process by including a copy
of+    config.status, config.cache and config.log, as well as the pertinent
+    compiler diagnostics.
+
     NOTE:  Lynx is a curses-based application, so you must have a curses

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden