lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: 2.8pre.5: install-help

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: 2.8pre.5: install-help
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 10:11:20 +0900 (JST)

> We could install the help-files gzip'd (lynx understands that - are there
> any restrictions?).  That would be something for post-2.8, though, since
> it'd involve some more script work.

Yes!  I do this already for all files over 28kB, and that is the only reason
I do not use the configure install-help target.  I did not recommend it be
done to the distribution, however, because it seemed to me a lot of work
if the names of the files were to change.  And, if they didn't change,
wouldn't that mean that libz would HAVE to be compiled into Lynx, i.e., the
whole library would have to be packaged in?  When you say "more script work",
then you mean you would only gzip the files if the system were determined
to have the capability to compress and then decompress them.  If so, I'm
drooling as I wait for 2.9.

>> drop "samples/lynx.cfg" from the release
>       (all in favor yell 'aye', all opposed 'nay').

100+ ``AYE''s!!!!! (my users and aye)

__Henry