lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Why use `cp' and `rm' when _WINDOWS defined?

From: afn06760
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: Why use `cp' and `rm' when _WINDOWS defined?
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 11:51:35 GMT

>     * From: Doug Kaufman <address@hidden>>     * Date: Sun, 15 Mar 1998
> 10:59:39 -0800 (PST)>   >On Sun, 15 Mar 1998 address@hidden wrote:>>> >PATH.
> Do you know what happens when Windows' lynx calls `cp.exe',>> >giving it a
> Windows file path, (well, not, quite,>> >`C:\windows\temp/897532.html' isn't
> exactly what the developers>> >mean when DOSPATH is defined in lynx)?  (Sorry
> for the nested>> >question.)>>I now see the problem. This was fixed for DOS a
> while ago, but not for>Windows (95 or NT). The following patch, which uses
> the DJGPP fix for>_WINDOWS should take care of it. I don't have Win95, so I
> can't test it>myself.>                                     DougThanks for the
> patch.  I hope it finds its way into the lynx source tree.
I already did something like that, and am writing from that new MINGW32/
crtdll.dll version of lynx.

Basically, if you use the cygwin/mingw32 system to compile lynx with
_WINDOWS and DOSPATH defined, you shake out a lot of bugs that have been
lurking in the shadows waiting to be found.  In my version of lynx, I
used FNAMES_8_3 to make all tempfiles Dos and Win311 compatible, so I
could use Win31 viewers with lynx under Win95/NT.  I also found a place
where the mailcap definitions guaranteed four or more character extensions
as the default, and fixed that to maximum three-character filename
extensions, again for the widest DOSPATH compatibility.

There are so many changes needed to get a complete Windows95/NT version of
lynx comparable to the Unix version (but without dired, of course) that
I would have to do a recursive diff comparison of my lynx directory with
a newly untarred lynx2-8 directory to get all the changes, some of which
have not been blessed by the appropriate #ifdef.  What a nuisance.