lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV UNIXish and DOSish software

From: John E. Davis
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV UNIXish and DOSish software
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 22:52:52 -0500

On 22 Mar 1998 16:51:18 -0600, address@hidden (Jason F. McBrayer) said:
>Yes, and it's entirely the Wrong Thing to do, on OS/2 at least.
>Trying to do direct screen access means that the program can't be run
>under XFree86/OS2, and also kills performance when running in a telnet
>session (or an attached terminal) since the direct screen accesses
>have to be remapped on the fly to ANSI control sequences by telnetd.
>Hardcoding a PC-ANSI console would be better but still not perfect.
>This is the main reason the OS/2-EMX version of Lynx uses ncurses and
>not Slang or PDCurses, despite the advantages Slang offers.

   I think that this should be a trivial thing to add to slang.  About
all that would be required would be to substitute sldisply.c for
slvideo.c and change constructs such as `#ifdef VMS' to `#if
defined(VMS) || defined(__os2__)' and a few additional tweaks. If
there is enough interest I can probably make the appropriate changes.
However, this is the first time that I have ever heard anyone mention
this problem on OS/2.

--John