lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Java/JavaScript

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Java/JavaScript
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 00:09:59 -0500 (EST)

980322 David Eaton wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Philip Webb wrote:
>> it would seem very simple for Lynx at least to alert the user,
>> since the JavaScript is enclosed in  <SCRIPT ... > ... </SCRIPT> :
>> i picture a suitable formatted `Message from Lynx' inserted in the page;
>> it could perhaps be done for image-heavy HTML too;
>> any problem about adding this for 2-8-1 ?
> Yes, it is counter to the specifications.
>
>   HTML 3.2 (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html32.html) stated:
>   "User agents should hide the contents of these [SCRIPT] elements."

this seems a bit pedantic: Lynx is forced to live in the real World,
which increasingly contains incorrect -- if not downright bad -- HTML:
most users simply want to be able to access sites & pages easily
& we get inquiries/complaints on lynx-dev when they have problems;
some compromise is inevitable, tho' of course we can debate how much.

>   HTML 4.0 (http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/):
>   "User agents that do not support client-side scripts must render
>   this element's [NOSCRIPT] contents."
>
> If Lynx starts warning on SCRIPT tags without scanning to see
> if there is also an associated NOSCRIPT tag,
> it will cause a properly composed HTML 4 page to be displayed
> with erroneous warnings.

surely Lynx can look for the  NOSCRIPT  tag,
which is closely aligned with  <SCRIPT ... > ... </SCRIPT> .