lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX: please say "THIS IS A TABLE!"

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX: please say "THIS IS A TABLE!"
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 00:00:07 +0000 (GMT)

> I disagree.  Most pages that I look at do NOT have tables
> of them.

In that case you hardly ever use a search engine or commercial
site.

> Like I say: we all have different things we look at on
> the web.  The things that I myself look at tend to
> NOT use tables, except when really necessary.

I find that most useful information sites don't use tables;
however to find them I usually have to start with a search engine
and eliminate several noise hits and/or follow a few links.
Most of these will have <TABLE>s.  There are also some areas, such
as personal finance, or software support, where one has to rely on
commercially run sites, because of the nature of the content.

Generally every site that has random graphical links and nearly
every site which does not have hand constructed HTML wil use <TABLE>,
although relatively few use it for tables!  Very few people, even those
providing useful content, don't use a web authoring tool these days.
The main de facto use of <TABLE>s is to split up the page so that
graphical elements can be placed in the "right" relative positions.

> (If everything DID have tables, then I couldn't very well
> use lynx, could I, as I would be missing most of the info
> I needed!)

Yes you could, because most tables are not used for content, and most of
those used for content can be deciphered.