lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV DOS patch for 2.8.1dev5

From: T.E.Dickey
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV DOS patch for 2.8.1dev5
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 21:28:16 -0500 (EST)

> I am not sure what you mean by "compatible". We have been using them
> together since lynx was first ported to DOS with WATTCP. The WATTCP
> tcp.h is needed for compilation of libtcp.a. I believe it is also
> referenced by inclusion in some of the WATTCP include files that are
> used by lynx (I think, for example, socket.h). The tcp.h file in
> WWW/Library/Implementation has a number of platform dependent defines.
I guess that answers my question (the files are really different, and
we should rename the Lynx tcp.h to avoid conflicts).

> The problem seems to occur when the program is looking for one file and
> gets the other in error. I don't know much about makefile syntax, but
> it seems that this problem arose when the include files switched from
> "includefile.h" to <includefile.h>.
I understand this -- the "includefile.h" syntax usually (not always)
causes the search for the included file to begin at the point in the
the search path where the including file resides.

(usually: this is something that's not in the ANSI standard, but a convention).

> With the change in the WWW/Library/djgpp/makefile, lynx seems to find
> the correct file. Did anyone else have this problem compiling with
> DJGPP, or is it something in my setup that requires the makefile change?
it's just your setup that has a special copy of tcp.h (afaik, it's not
a standard header in any sense).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden