lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV Re: <pre></pre> <Hx></Hx> BUG

From: Jason F. McBrayer
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: <pre></pre> <Hx></Hx> BUG
Date: 05 Apr 1998 14:40:35 -0600

FMG> You (Rob Partington) wrote:
>> J.T. wrote:

>> > Lynx 2.8 does not implement the <pre> and </pre> tags as earlier
>> > versions do.  Every time an html file uses an <Hx> tag the
>> > existing <pre> is nullified for the text that follows.  The
>> > solution is to add another <pre> tag just after each change in
>> > <Hx> level.

>> This is lynx implementing the correct behaviour.  The PRE
>> element cannot contain a Hx element, so the Hx element closes
>> the open PRE element as defined in the DTD.  lynx should
>> complain about this, though, since the </pre> is non-optional.

FMG> This is another little pet-peeve of mine. Lynx is not a validator
FMG> but a browser. Who CARES what we're _supposed_ to see, let's not
FMG> envorce that and stick our head in the sand and let the page look
FMG> like crap because it's not "pure". A LOT of pages are written with
FMG> Netscape and MSIE in mine - they do NOT care about proper syntax,
FMG> and the admins are NOT interested in fixing such problems. So, NOT
FMG> handling that code in lynx is just plain silly.

Sure, lynx is a browser, not a validator.  But it has to be a browser
for html, not just any old crap that gets thrown at it, or else how
will we know what to do with it?

As volunteers on a free project, we can't spend all of our time trying
to get bug-for-bug compatibility with Netscape or MSIE.  The standards
are all we have to put us on a level playing field with better-funded
developers, and we're better off trying to comply with them.

FMG> I'm getting screwed because I can't script this crap, and the
FMG> only winner is the happiness of some really anal validator that
FMG> no one else, it seems, uses or cares that it exists.

It's not for the sake of pleasing the validator.  It's so that people
like us will have some target behavior to aim for that's not subject
to daily revision by a commercial entity that would just as soon see
us dead.  If you can't be bothered to do reasonably correct HTML by
hand (and if you have a basic understanding of how HTML works, it's
easier to write valid HTML than invalid HTML), why not try an SGML
based HTML editor like Amaya or HoTMetaL?

Anyway, if you MUST have Lynx parse a page as tag-salad rather than as
HTML, you can hit ^V.  You can even make tag-salad parsing the default
at compilation time (and I think also in lynx.cfg.).

| Jason F. McBrayer              address@hidden |
| The scalloped tatters of the King in Yellow must hide Yhtill   |
| forever.                   (R.W. Chambers _The King in Yellow_ |