lynx-dev

Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX, change temp download dir from /tmp

From: Mark H. Wood
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX, change temp download dir from /tmp
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1998 10:38:25 -0500 (EST)

On 7 Apr 1998, Jason F. McBrayer wrote:

> >> The /tmp/ directory is hardcoded into lynx at time of compilation in
> >> USERDEFS.H. See this extract:
>
> MHW> So should I roll up my sleeves and fix this, or will I be met with a
> MHW> storm of protest?
>
> I thought the point of LYNX_TEMP_SPACE was for pointing it someplace
> other than the system-wide temp area?

You can do that by setting TMPDIR too, but it works for *all* scratch
files.  Is there some reason for a user to want some of his scratch files
to go here, and others there?  Where I'm going with this is that I feel
there should usually not *be* a system-wide temp area; users should have
their own scratch directories, avoiding lots of security problems.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   address@hidden
One more time:  a (level-2) switch is a bridge.  A "level-3 switch" is