lynx-dev

lynx-dev Reading command o/p to textarea (was: Lynx wish)

From: David Woolley
Subject: lynx-dev Reading command o/p to textarea (was: Lynx wish)
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 21:24:22 +0100 (BST)

> I wish lynx had a "pipe keystroke input from command" option.
> I often am editing a TEXTINPUT area, and wish I could do something
> like:
>
>    CTRL-V
>    !cat file.txt |

This would automatically drop out of an external editor modification
for textarea, as discussed recently, and I think this would be the only
reasonable way to implement this requirement.

> I suppose there's some kind of security problem with this, but

The security requirement amounts to that you must make it possible to
use textarea without an external editor, which tends to reduce the
priority for implementing external editor support.

> I do essentially the same thing all the time by cutting and
> pasting with the mouse on X windows - it's just more of a

You can also do this on the text mode console with Linux.

However the security problem arises with captive installations of
Lynx, where any running of a user selected command is a fatal security
breach.

Unfortunately, though, you are probably going to have to implement this
yourself, as textarea certainly doesn't cause me enough problems to
motivate me to change it.