lynx-dev

lynx-dev Lynx & B&S

From: Rick Younie
Subject: lynx-dev Lynx & B&S
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 20:22:02 -0700 (PDT)

Although lynx-dev is a technical list, you might be interested in
this response from the help-thing at the local Buy & Sell newspaper.
Not a very good comeback from me as I had a little difficulty not
lapsing into my native tongue, Obscenity.

How the hell do you talk to outfits like this?

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Tricia Irwin wrote:

> >I'm not able to login since you've changed. I'm using a text
> >browser call Lynx and have tried it from both UBC and VCN.
> >I expect others have the same problem. I max out on the
> >redirections: Alert!: Location URL is not absolute. and then
> >lots of redirections until the max out. If this gets to a
> >techie, I can provide a trace of the problem.
> >Rick
>
> Hello Rick:
>
> Thanks for your feedback - unfortunately our new website does
> not support text browsers such as Lynx.
>
> It is important that users try and keep reasonably up to date
> with browser technology in order for companies to be able to
> provide a better level of service by being able to implement
> these new technologies.
>
> If you are interested you can download the latest version of
> Netscape from the following URL:
>
>   http://www.netscape.com/download/index.html?cp=hmp02sdow
>   (File size is 9.2 MB; estimated download time on a 28.8 Kbps modem is
>   60 minutes)
>
> Netscape 4.04 is the latest and greatest Netscape browser and
> supports most of the new features available on the web.

This is condescending twaddle.

Lynx has good and bad points like all browsers. A main feature
is that it is quick over slow links. It's fine for browsing your
ads, I just can't log in to the extended features section. The
problem is a technical glitch. If you don't know what I'm talking
about, pass it along to someone who does.

Rick