lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev List housecleaning on May 4th

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev List housecleaning on May 4th
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 08:18:03 +0100 (BST)

> I will send out a final message just before cleaning out the list.  You may
> wish
> to wait at least a few hours to post again, to give people time to
> re-subscribe.

Unless you allow people to pre-register, and there is no indication that
you will,  I would suggest that you should put the list into Majordomo's
starting mode, in which all postings are rejected with "please resubmit
later", for at least two weeks, not just discourage posting for a few hours.
Otherwise people who are on holiday at the time, or who clear their non-urgent
email at weekends, may lose a lot of traffic.

This is worse than the situation for which the starting mode was designed
in that there is already an established traffic level.

Note that 11:00 CDT is 16:00 GMT; the earliest I would normally be in a
possition to re-subscribe would be about 07:00 GMT the following day,
and if there is any verification procedure, I probably couldn't complete it
before 07:00 GMT on Thursday.