lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev May 4th subscription instructions

From: Jan Hlavacek
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 01:37:18 -0400

On Fri, Apr 17, 1998 at 11:36:45PM -0400, John wrote:
> This has been discussed before.  The problem is that such a
> newsgroup would most likely be frequented by lynx USERS with
> questions rather than DEVELOPERS which is a very small group
> (60 +/- active of the 60 million worldwide with web access,
> that's 1 in a million!).  My thought is that a
> ...browsers.lynx newsgroup would probably be most helpful
> for the USERS who have questions about 'how do I do this or
> that or make multiple bookmarks or print out or whatever',
> but the DEVELOPERS' questions comments discussions etc are
> probably best done via mail list.
>
> One advantage of the newsgroup idea is that it would take
> some of the traffic off the mail list which is unrelated to
> 'development'.  The developers could (and should) then
> 'lurk' the newsgroup to see what problems users are having,
> similar to the way in which the PINE developers lurk the
> comp.mail.pine newsgroup.  I'm finished rambling.

Maybe to start we can split lynx-dev into 3 lists,  lynx-users,
lynx-announce and lynx-dev.  To set up two new mailing lists should be
much easier then creation of new newsgroup.  If the lynx-users takes off
well and have a lot of trafic,  it would be a good reason to create a
newsgroup.

--
Jan Hlav\'{a}\v{c}ek
address@hidden  (Blind Carbon Copies will bounce)