lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx for WIN 3.1?

From: for address@hidden
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx for WIN 3.1?
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 00:26:44 -0500 (CDT)

>     * From: Al Gilman <address@hidden>
>     * Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 10:27:59 -0400 (EDT)
>to follow up on what DFishbeck said:
>
>> Is there a version of Lynx that I can use running Windows 3.1
>> with AOL as my ISP?
>
>Windows 3.1: The closest we come is that you can use the 386 version
>as a DOS program.  It will not use the winsock in windows; you will
>need to install DOS-based PPP networking as if Windows were not there.
>This will not break you Windows installation, but it is a bit of work.
>
>AOL: Anybody out there currently running Lynx as their AOL
>client?  I am not up to date on the openness of AOL to use with
>Internet software of the user's choice.

Look:  The only obstacle to doing a Win311 port of lynx is doing some-
thing about the `easy windows' interface.  From a recent check of my
old Microshaft C700 compiler, I can tell that using Microsoft C/C++
to port lynx is an exercise in renaming lots of print and puts functions.

My guess so far is that Borland Builder 1, which has a 16-bit capability
for Windows, probably has the most lynx-friendly easy-windows library.
In addition, Borland's conio library for Windows lets you port something
like libslang directly to Windows 3.0 and 3.1.  Your only problem is that
the winsocket dll wasn't included with either package, and you have to
get one separately.  Since I think that lynx doesn't use buffers larger
than 65 K for editing or handling files or whatever, it ought to be
possible to use LARGE model code that has room for all the global variables
and the large size of the program, with possibly a few HUGE pointers
thrown in for variety where the above 65 K assumption proves wrong.