lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx386 with Slang

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx386 with Slang
Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 14:26:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 10 May 1998, T.E.Dickey wrote:

> I have a question about the RAWDOSKEYHACK - Bill's patch adds a
>       #define GetChar SLkp_getkey
> while your version uses
>       #define GetChar getxkey
> along with some ifdef'd includes in LYStrings.c, i.e.,
>
>       #ifdef __DJGPP__
>       #include <pc.h>
>       #include <keys.h>
>       #endif /* __DJGPP__ */
>
> Something looks incompatible, but I don't know enough to decide which
> is right (or better).

Sorry that I didn't make this more clear. These are incompatible, but
similar fixes for the same problem - how to handle the DOS extended keys
that produce a multicharacter output, but not starting with \033.
PDCurses handles this through key definitions in its file "curses.h".
Wayne's RAWDOSKEYHACK maps the numerical definitions of the keys from
curses.h to the  values recognized by lynx in LYKeymap.c. There
appear to be at least 3 ways to do this with SLANG. John Davis at one
point sugggest a SLANG-specific remapping of the keys to ANSI key
sequences, which lynx already handles in LYStrings.c. I haven't tried
this yet. My  original patch abandoned SLANG keyhandling and used the
keyhandler built into DJGPP. This makes key definitions in the DJGPP
file keys.h, which then have to be mapped into definitions that lynx
understands. I did the original mapping via RAWDOSKEYHACK, but it
probably should be done by a switch mechanism, as Bill does in his
patch. The third mechanism is the one Bill chose, using the SLANG
function SLkp_getkey, which defines the keys in the SLANG file, slang.h.
The definitions in PDCurses, SLANG, and DJGPP are all incompatible,
requiring separate mappings for lynx.

For now, I would go with Bill's choice, especially since John has
submitted a patch allowing users to customize their own keymaps. The
other mechanisms require recompiling to change the keymaps. See my
suggested changes to Bill's patch in another message.
                              Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)