lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Using the WM_THREAD message for threadbare Windows NSL_FORK

From: Jason F. McBrayer
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Using the WM_THREAD message for threadbare Windows NSL_FORK
Date: 24 May 1998 11:01:14 -0600

>>>>> "v" == vtailor  <address@hidden> writes:

v> One way to implement a thread in more recent versions of Windows
v> is to use SendMessage to initiate that thread.  You define a
v> WM_USER message called WM_THREAD, then subclass the main window
v> to include a WM_THREAD case.  The LPARAM of SendMessage then carries
v> a two-element structure containing the entry point of the thread
v> function and its parameter list.

I would recommend /not/ doing this.  I would like to see the Windows
NSL_FORK changed to a NSL_MTD or somesuch so that other multithreaded
systems (e.g.  OS/2) can in the future use the same #ifdef's for
multithreading nameserver lookups.  I plan on adding a threaded
NSL_FORK on OS/2 when I find some time, since forking on OS/2 EMX is
very inefficient.  It's simpler to maintain if everyone uses
beginthread() in that for multithreading.

| Jason F. McBrayer              address@hidden |
| The scalloped tatters of the King in Yellow must hide Yhtill   |
| forever.                    R.W. Chambers _The King in Yellow_ |