lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev about lynx.cfg

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev about lynx.cfg
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 14:10:27 -0700 (PDT)

> From address@hidden Thu May 28 10:37:09 1998
> Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 11:28:58 -0600 (MDT)
>
> On Thu, 28 May 1998, Michael Sokolov wrote:
>
> > Benjamin C. W. Sittler <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > Not all "strings" were created equal. Try "objdump" from the GNU binutils
> > > instead, or find/port a real "strings" to your architecture.
> >
> > Is this directed to me or to David? If the former, I DON'T DO GNU ("NU"
> > stands
> > for "Not UNIX" and I am a faithful worshiper of Ritchie, Thompson,
> > Kernighan,
> > and CSRG) and my strings(1) is as "real" as it can be, since my platform is
> > True UNIX(R) (albeit binary-only and interdigitated by DEC).

Problem was not strings; was that the
"executable" file was really a shell script,
with a gzipped binary appended to it.

About gnu, the name is just a joke, maybe, or
has something to do with rms's dislike of
proprietary software (eg unix, source not
avail).

But just about ANYONE who knows (oops, better
be quiet here) knows that some of the gnu stuff
is FANTASTIC software.

For instance, there is emacs (rms INTENTED emacs).
And gcc. and etc etc etc.

I personally find their grep stuff FAR better than
at least sun's.  Gnu's egrep has, among other things,
a -w (for "only things that look like symbols"),
and better yet, -A <num>, -B <num>, and -C,
which, for each found string, types out lines
NEARBY:
  -A for so-many lines Above, -B for Below,
  and -C for Centered-around.
Try it, I promise you will LOVE it.

David

(oh, you can mix -A and -B in same line)