lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: editing forms (was forms)

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: editing forms (was forms)
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 14:11:08 -0400 (EDT)

to follow up on what Christopher Burian said:

> > there was a big discussion of this a few months ago
> > & the reason nothing got done was the usual security problems
> > around anonymous users, who might somehow use an editor to attack people;
> > there was apparently a different problem
> > about having one device for them & another for the rest of us.
>
> I use pico as my default editor which seems to work fine as a full screen
> editor.  Why it would be difficult to upgrade Lynx text box editing from
> line-oriented to screen-oriented like pico?  I wouldn't want to use an
> external editor, personally.

We need to define our terms.  Pico provides a good example.

If Lynx accepts an external editor for form filling, you could
_use Pico_.  And I could use Joe.  It would pop up when you enter
a TEXTAREA to fill it in.

If one were to simply integrate the Pico code into Lynx there
would be more code to maintain and not enough of the users would
be happy with it.

The point is that people's preferences vary, and we don't need to
be maintaining any more code than necessary.

Or at least that is the motivation to make it a "link to external
editor" as I understand it.

Al

PS: the security issues are not insurmountable, IMHO.  The
staffing issue is the main open question.  Belling the cat.