lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Special Hyphen

From: Michael Warner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Special Hyphen
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 23:29:29 -0700

On Tue, Aug 18, 1998, Jason F. McBrayer <address@hidden> wrote:

> p> The "special hyphen" character does not format correctly
> p> See, for example:

        [...]

> p> ... the line containing &#173.  The columns don't line up.  I see
> p> the same anomaly using the free lynx at bob.org.
>
> I don't think it's supposed to line up.  "&shy;" is a soft hyphen;
> it's only supposed to be a hint as to whether a word can be hyphenated
> at a particular point.  If a program needs to hyphenate a word, it
> should do it at the "&shy;" and print a regular hyphen there.

I tried it out a few days ago in a test file, and it seemed to
work fine.  If there's no line break needed, it shouldn't take up
any space, so the columns in that line, from the soft hyphen on,
would be shifted left one space.

The question I have, that I haven't checked out, is:  "What
is the &shy; behavior in a <PRE> block (such as the
referenced page of Subir's)"?  The &shy; should be
non-functional in <PRE> in any case, right?

--
Michael Warner
<address@hidden>