lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev z (was Re: Timeout parameter?)

From: mattack
Subject: Re: lynx-dev z (was Re: Timeout parameter?)
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 11:03:03 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, James Elkinton wrote:
>However, 'z' does not stop 'Looking up foo.bar.com' situations.  I get
>stuck at such prompts regularly, sometimes for many minutes at a time.
>It would be nice if 'z' would stop those too, so ctrl-c'ing out and
>restarting would not be necessary.  Possible?

Also, even though _in theory_ I don't like programs purposely not allowing
me to ^C out of a program(*), I sort of wish ^C were also a generic "cancel"
command.

I tend to ^C out of Lynx a lot and restart because of this same hang,
and sometimes I'm at a prompt when I don't know how to just cancel
the prompt (I realize that's *my* fault).

(*) One of the main things I like about UNIX is that the user is more in
"control" compared to a GUI, where a modal dialog screws you up. I always
have had these nagging "exceptions" in my mind, knowing that programs could
prevent you from ^Zing, ^Cing, or running the program in the background
(like trn)..  Then I found out about "screen" which basically undoes those
nasty things and puts the user back in control.