lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lycos non lynx friendly

From: Roving Reporter
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lycos non lynx friendly
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 23:35:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 29 Aug 1998, Mike Castle wrote:
>Has anyone else been having problems lately using the Lycos search engine
>with lynx?

Now that you point it out, yes.

>Even changing the user agent doesn't seem to accomplish anything.

Since mine is now officially Mozilla 4.05, I can't comment on that. I also
know that Concentric has enabled SSL support.

>Viewing the resulting html with Lynx and Netstcape shows different html
>being returned.  And I haven't figured out why.  What feature is Lycos
>using to base it's actions?  Perhaps some sort of redirection I'm not
>catching?  I don't see any java or javascript stuff (and I have that turned
>off in Netscape anyway).
>
>What I'm seeing is when I submit the search, I'm getting "500 Server Error"

Same happened to me. Power search runs fine though.

>The URI that gets generated from both Lynx and Netscape is similar, except
>that the Lynx one has more parts in it (a study of the html supplied to
>both browsers will show both seem to be working correctly).
>
>Annoying thing is, when I following Lycos lynx to submit a complaint, it
>doesn't work from lynx either!

I was successful in sending a complaint. I noticed that the alternative is
address@hidden so you can send your problem to them directly.

>So, I'm wondering if some people could verify problems with the following:
>
>http://www.lycos.com/
>
>Enter a simple search and try to "Go Get It!" and see if you can succeed.
>

>Meanwhile, the comment form at:
>http://echomail.lycos.com/echomail
>
>Is severely busted as shown by the first few lines of the html:

Lynx kept saying "bad html!" The pages are written badly, of course.

><HTML>
><!-- Lotus-Domino (Release 4.6.1d - May 27, 1998 on Windows NT/Intel) -->
><HEAD>
></HEAD>
><BODY TEXT="000000" BGCOLOR="ffffff">
>
><FORM METHOD=post
>ACTION="/em_dir/lycos/lycosmail.nsf/0f865df4dbb1a6888525665100527fed?CreateDocument"
> ENCTYPE="multipart/form-data" NAME="_DominoForm">
>
><HTML>
><HEAD><TITLE>Contact Lycos</TITLE>
>
>Specifically, restarting with "<HTML>" after the form was started.  And a
>trace output specifically shows that a </form> was forced at that point.
>
>At anyrate, I will be sending a comment to "address@hidden" about the
>broken html on the echomail site.
>
>But I still don't know why lynx gets different html code from
>www.lycos.com.  Can anyone shed some light on that?

It's probably testing for some kind of expected response that Lynx doesn't
give.
* Therese Shellabarger      -     address@hidden *
* http://www.concentric.net/~tlshell/   Shalom chaverot! *
* See Deaf Expo at http://www.deafexpo.org/              *