lynx-dev

lynx-dev character sets

From: Laura Eaves
Subject: lynx-dev character sets
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 16:12:21 -0400 (EDT)

Could someone familiar with charset issues please clarify the following?
I've noticed on some websites I get funny graphic characters in foreign words.
I assume this has to do with my display charset being wrong.  (For example,
I should see an e with a ` over it, but get a funny graphic instead.)

So I checked the options page.
Using the old hard-coded options page there are 2 relevant options:
"assumed charset" and "display charset".  "assumed is set to ISO-8859-1.
"display charset" is set to ISO-Latin-1.
Furthermore, there is no ISO-8859-1 in the choices for display charset.

On the new forms-options page there are also 2 options:
"preferred" charset (with a text entry field instead of a popup menu)
and "display" charset (same as before).
The default "preferred" charset is blank.

What I'd like to know is what these various choices mean and
waht should the settings be to display the characters I want?

Thanks in advance.
--le