lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev 2.8.1 release

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev 2.8.1 release
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 22:24:47 -0400 (EDT)

> it looks to me as if the pending 2-8-1 has suddenly got overtaken
> by a couple of large improvements which aren't working properly yet:
> there's forms options & info pages layout (SKY) at least.
> dev.23 had a nasty little bug in it which suggests excessive haste
> (no criticism of our patient co-ordinator).
not haste - just fatigue.  putting 23 together (and fixing the things
that I saw) took more than 12 hours (perhaps haste - I cut it off so I
could get back to ncurses).

> a RELEASE should be an event & we should be confident it's bug-free.
> how about releasing dev.22 or dev.21 as 2-8-1 --
> or some bug-fixed version of some such earlier version
> from before the shakier features started being added --
> & renumbering dev.24 = 2-8-2dev.1 ?
>
> my vote is for a little more care, esp re the newer features.
> it's really TD's to decide, since he's on top of everything.
I don't know yet - I'll review things in a couple of days, see how
many of the most recent changes don't look clean enough.  forms-options
can be classified as experimental (so as long as the older options
screen is not broken, there's no problem there).  For SKY's stuff,
most of it was in the options screen, and I'll have to review the
remainder (make sure 24 builds/installs as-is -- there were some
GNUisms that I repaired -- and then see what is in the queue)..

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden