lynx-dev

lynx-dev lynx_site.txt install path

From: pg
Subject: lynx-dev lynx_site.txt install path
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 07:31:48 -0600 (MDT)

Hello, Lyncei,

I like the idea of making lynx-site.txt available on the Information
Page; I've frequently wished for something like this.  A couple
glitches, however:

It appears that lynx_cfg.h tries to find lynx-site.txt in $(helpdir)
whereas makefile installs it in $(libdir).  I'd favor helpdir over
libdir to avoid directory clutter at the libdir level.  So, I changed
makefile to install lynx-site.txt in helpdir where lynx expects it.

This sort of works.  Unfortunately, the "install" target installs
lynx-site.txt, only to have it obliterated when I do an install-help.
I must then do an explicit install-log to reinstall it.

I'd suggest:

o Change the install path in makefile[.in] to $(helpdir)/lynx-site.txt.

o Eliminate the separate install-log target; simply install
  lynx-site.txt as part of install-help.

o Remove the "@" from the install-log command.  I'm uncomfortable
  when "make" completes silently, however successfully.  It's partly
  cultural: people expect make to be fairly chatty relative to other
  UNIX commands.

Want a patch?

-- gil