lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: internal links

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: internal links
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 10:17:32 +0900 (JST)

> >but I really think lynx would be better off if both email and
> >news were removed, and the effort saved was devoted to improving

At the present time, both mail and news can be turned off completely,
at will, at compile time, i.e., right now if you don't want them, there
is no requirement that they be compiled into the binary.  There is no
benefit that I can see to "remove" internal support.  It would indeed
be a tremendous hardship on our site should they be removed.  Having
them turned off by default would not bother me, however.

> A million vote for external support of 'mail' and 'news' which will
> also make lynx LITE and tighter in security.

Well-documented external support would be great, but not at the expense
of internal support, please.

Not compiling in 'mail' and 'news' reduces the image size by about 2%.
Although that is nothing to ignore (becasue every little bit adds up),
still, for the vast majority of Lynx installers, it is insignificant.

__Henry