lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev when, where, why "kb/sec"?

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev when, where, why "kb/sec"?
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 15:31:13 -0700

Greg Barniskis wrote:

Greg>> I seem to recall listening in on a conversation several months ago
(maybe
Greg>> on a FreeBSD list, regarding an ftp client?) wherein a continuously
Greg>> updated display of total bytes transferred was causing a problem.

Greg>> The gist of the discussion was that the display system couldn't keep up
Greg>> with the screen updates -- the byte count was changing too fast. I think

Greg>> the problem was traced to a buffer (in curses?)...  I'm pretty sure that

Greg>> the solution was to not to use total bytes transferred as the unit to
Greg>> display.

Thomas E. Dickey replied:

Tom> We (I & LP) already addressed this by keeping the rate of display down to
Tom> once per second (I didn't look closely at Bela's patch yet).

Well, I didn't touch that.  If the update pacing was working right
before, it's still working now...