lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Question: specify a local file

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Question: specify a local file
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 23:40:51 +0400 (MSD)

> On Tue, 22 Sep 1998 address@hidden wrote:

>> I need to fire up Lynx with a local HTML-coded file specified on   .
>> the command line I can acomplish the operation it on my OpenVMS    .
>> system, but run into problems on Windows The problem is is how to  .
>> code the file:xxx.htm specification to suit Lynx                   .
>>
>> The local filespec in Windows is something like:
>> E:\download\start.htm (which is _not_ the Lynx home directory).

> I think this is the same as the DOS terminology:
> lynx "file:///E:/download/start.htm"

> Be sure to use forward slashes and 3 slashes between file: and the drive
> letter (short for "file://localhost/E:/download/start.htm").
>                                 Doug

You may also start "lynx e:/download/start.htm"
or "lynx e:\download\start.htm" (both forward and back slashes
acceptable for local files with lynx WIN/DOS ports)
but we recommend using of "file:///" prefix.
Otherwise if you made a typo and point to a nonexistant file
you may run into "URL guessing" process with requests for remote side...

You may also start "lynx ." from the current directory
and navigate with arrow keys as usual.