lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx whith a special configuration

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx whith a special configuration
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1998 03:30:37 +0300 (MSK)

>> > We recommend using executable packers like gzexe instead,
>>
>> "we"?
>>
>> Executable packers like gzexe act *directly* *against* NHE's goals.
>> They are appropriate only for single-user systems.  Even there, they
>> cause *more* memory to be used.  They save only disk space.
>>
>> On a multiuser system, like Unix, the executable code of a program that
>> is being run by multiple users is shared in memory.  However, if you use
I know about it :-)
If we talk about multiple lynxen on Unix, a huge part of the code
should be shared, except the variable zone which mostly allocated dynamically
and so use a little space when certain feature not used.
Some people prefer to waste ISP memory than pay for extra disk quota
(and network provider think opposite, of cause).
I do not understand NHE goals, it's right.