lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev ENCTYPE="multipart/formdata"

From: Rob Partington
Subject: Re: lynx-dev ENCTYPE="multipart/formdata"
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 1998 09:51:52 +0000

In message <address@hidden>,
           Philip Webb writes:
> so the crucial question is whether we can omit the CTE-header part,
> while retaining the 7-bit-clean part: if so, we can quickly enable Lynx
> to handle typical sites out there; the rest is pedantry.

No, you can't.  Without the CTE, the remote end has no idea what
you've sent.  If they were expecting Base64, you'd be ok.  However,
most things I've seen expect plain binary.  No more, no less.  IE
and Netscape both send plain binary, Lynx has to do the same.

> > Persuading people to support the standards Lynx already supports
> > seems to be the order of things.
>
> that's clearly a long-lost cause: Lynx has to live in the real World.

True.  It would help if the real-world followed it's own standards though.
(The RFC is co-written, or possibly entirely written, by people from
 Netscape.  Their own browser doesn't even follow their own RFC.)
--
    rob partington / address@hidden / programmer
do while $lang=~/^perl|python|c|tcl|awk|(sg|ht|x)ml$/i;