lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.2

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.2
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 22:26:56 -0500 (EST)

> > 1) Please rename makefile.in.in and a couple of others with two dots
>
> If this is in reference to /intl and /po, PLEASE don't include ANY of
> it.

for this pass, I included it - I'd rather make it an add-on package, but
that'll take more work.

> > 2) french "po" file say something like
>
> I couldn't get fr.po to even compile.  I think it's broken.

I spent the past couple of mornings finding that the Solaris version of
xgettext doesn't handle the files Lynx has: too many files, and the
Solaris versions don't parse the continued lines.  And the workarounds
don't work.  So I don't see how to build it without the GNU gettext stuff.
(And building _that_, I found one syntax error ;-).

> > msgid "NeXT character set " msgstr "Jeu de car. NeXT " which obviously
> > wrong for several reasons:  1. trailing spaces not allowed,
>
> One nice "feature" of xgettext is that it will find errors in the code.
>
> > 2. should be inserted only in option menu but not in
> > LYCharSets.c/UCDomap.c/ LYRCFile.c to avoid compatibility problems
> > with .lynxrc/lynx.cfg
>
> If this is the case, developers may have to come up with different
> wording for strings to make them unique.

yes - that's a weakness of xgettext.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden