lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev NLS tweaks for 282dev4

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: Re: lynx-dev NLS tweaks for 282dev4
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 08:53:01 -0500

On Thu, Nov 19, 1998 at 10:01:26PM +0900, Nelson Henry Eric wrote:
> The following works for me without a hitch (Solaris2.6, SunOS4.1.3).
> 1 % cd lynx2-8-2
> 2 % ls ./WWW/Library/Implementation/*.[ch] ./src/*.[ch] ./*.[ch] > z-ls
> 3 % cp ../ja.po .
> 4 % xgettext -f z-ls -j --no-location -o ja.po
> 5 % msgfmt -a -v -o lynx.mo ja.po
> 6 % cp lynx.mo /home/.usr/share/locale/ja/LC_MESSAGES
>
> If you are doing it for the first time, the third step is not valid,
> and the forth step is without the -j option.  The second step may seem
> like overkill, but there certainly is infinitely less overhead than
> using a bunch of tools to get an exact listing.  Change ja to the
> language of your choice.  Sorry, Jim, but I still do `rm -rf intl po`
> before a build.  Once you have libintl, you have it.  Once you've done
> even one translation, it's xgettext with -j.

No need to apologize.  I am trying to make sure all of the pieces
are there for new users, while you are looking at incremental
stability for existing users.  Both are important.

I copied your ja.po.bz2 file to the directory
http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/po. Hope you don't mind. What do you
think about storing bz2 vs. gz vs. plain po text files? I
changed the lynx.pot back to lynx.po since ".pot" caused SLCC
to assume I had a powerpoint template file (shudder).

------
Marvin the Paranoid Android says: Pausing to reconstruct the whole
infrastructure of integral mathematics in his head, he went about his
humble task, never thinking to ask for reward, recognition or even a
moments ease from the pain in all the diodes down his left side...