lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Mis-numbering of links...

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Mis-numbering of links...
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 13:52:58 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, David L. Potter wrote:

> Our version of Lynx... (which we call)
>
>       Lynx Version 2.7.1ac-0.102+intl+csuite
>
> produces a rather curious result in some rather narrow circumstances. The
> behaviour was first detected on a Chinese Language page... and has
> subsequently been duplicated on an English page... a screen print of
> which is below... as a start you'll notice there are two links
> numbered '[3]'...

>                                    Bug Demo.
>
>    [1] xxxxx_this_is_length_critical_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx???? |
>    BOFH [3] [3] [4] [=||=]
>
>    Above, the link number for link # 2 is missing. Any of the "?"s may be
>    deleted from the "length-critical" string and the bug persists. Add
>    one more character to the string or delete more than four characters
>    and the bug disappears. The problem seems to be that lynx gets
>    confused if:
>     1. a link number is to be at the end of one line with the label
>        wrapped to the line below that and
>     2. a link following the link to be wrapped has no label specified and
>     3. the link with no label is on the same line as the wrapped label.
>
>    Also, some link numbers get duplicated and the first duplicate in a
>    pair seems to have its URL listed as "hidden" with the others listed
>    as "visible".

>       http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~af380/bug-demo.html

I cannot reproduce this with either 2.8.1rel.2 or 2.7.1ac-0.91.
I have seen some glitches w.r.t. line splitting and removing of link
numbers, but nothing like this where a number appears twice.

What happens if you use -hiddenlinks=merge, -hiddenlinks=ignore,
-hiddenlinks=listonly (if your code has that option)?

You should check whether your code differs from the latest lynx
(see <http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/current/lynx2-8-2/src/> if you just
want a few files), specifically:

 * HText_endAnchor() in GridText.c,
 * split_line() in GridText.c, especially the loop over anchors at
   the end,

 and, if that doesn't yield anything,

 * all calls to HText_beginAnchor() and HText_endAnchor() in HTML.c,
   and maybe LYCharUtils.c.

   Klaus