lynx-dev

lynx-dev Passing internal data to external handlers

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: lynx-dev Passing internal data to external handlers
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 12:51:19 -0800

Something that I like to do when I save documents, is to prepend a sort of
"header block" to them, telling from where and when they were obtained.  For
example:

 >Linkname: Bzip2 Howto
 >From: http://www.best.com/~dfetter/Bzip2-HOWTO/Bzip2-HOWTO.html
 >Date: Fri Nov 27 12:05:49 PST 1998
 >Last Mod: Tue, 18 Aug 1998 15:56:32 GMT
 >
 ><document>

I've been doing that "by hand" by first p(rinting) a copy of the Information
(=) page, then appending the document proper to it (via my own PRINTER:
definition, and handler script), then later going back and manually editing
out all the extraneous Information page stuff.

All of which is a PITA.

What I'd like to be able to do, is pass various bits of internal information
(title, url, etc) along to the PRINTER: handler in some way, and then let
the script do with it as it wishes.

The method that comes to mind, is along the lines of what "trn" does for
similar purposes.  That is, the user can specify all manner of internal
information to be passed along to an external script, using a wide variety
of %tokens, as formal args in the handler-invoking definition (eg, PRINTER:
def, or whatever).

Has something like this been considered before?  Or is there some alternate
way of accomplishing what I want to do, that I've overlooked?

Would anyone besides myself find something like this to be a useful feature?

/kim