lynx-dev

lynx-dev lynx/hotmail problem

From: John
Subject: lynx-dev lynx/hotmail problem
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 21:52:54 -0800 (PST)

I'm not sure this is the right address for lynx developers,but I'll
try.The free web based email company Hotmail(now owned by Microsoft) has
been Lynx friendly since its inception,while many of the newer web email
systems can't be used with Lynx.The Hotmail/Lynx combination is a mainstay
of students and others who access the net only through library terminals.

Recently I found a problem that I hadn't encountered before with
Lynx.After entering your name and password on the first screen you
normally get a second screen that lists all of your saved and new messages
in your primary folder.Now ,when using Lynx,you get that P)roceed, G)et
C)ancel choice.If you select Cancel you get the original screen for
logging in.If you select Get or Proceed you get Lynx asking you to select
a download option.You can get unrendered HTML in a file in your Unix
account if you are on a Unix shell or nothing if you are on a VT100 type
library terminal.Of course what you need is a web page with each of your
messages presented as a link.

Does anyone know why this is happening or what can be done?It seems to
happen with all the Lynx browsers I tried.I was wondering if it is a
change in Hotmail or a bug in a new release of Lynx.You can try this on
the San Francisco Public Library: 206.14.7.103.