lynx-dev

lynx-dev Request comment on possible feature

From: Larry W. Virden
Subject: lynx-dev Request comment on possible feature
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 16:42:09 -0500 (EST)

Assume that you have an html file such as this (deliberately stupid for
purposes of illustration).

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Final//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<Title>Testing</Title>
<!-- OWNER_NAME="Larry Virden" -->
<!-- OWNER_INFO="Chemical Abstracts Service" -->
<LINK REV="made" HREF="mailto:address@hidden"; TITLE="Test Title">
<META name="editor" content="/ldatae/bin/nvi">
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<A HREF="http://www.nothere.home/";>Nobody's home</A>
</BODY>
</HTML>

Now, start up lynx pointing at this page.  Select the one link on the
page.  Notice that lynx tells you in the status line that you can't get
here.

Now, would it not be nice if you could use lynx's

feature to be able to dynamically pull up the url , edit it, and try
the modified Url?

Certainly if lynx would have successfully followed the link you could have
done just that.

But the the usr is non-existing, or if the server is there but the path
is wrong, then lynx 2.8.2dev10 doesn't seem to provide access to the info.
It seems like it should be a simple matter to make it available, but
I don't seem to be able to get to the info.

Any comments on whether this might be a deliberate design decision?
Maybe it's a configuration matter that I have configured incorrectly?
--
Larry W. Virden                 <URL: mailto:address@hidden>