lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev local directory listing - TOO SLOW

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev local directory listing - TOO SLOW
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 08:40:59 -0500 (EST)

> Lynx's rendering of local directory listing apperently too slow,
> directory for 150 entries fetched the same time as ~200K long text
> (this is especially strange with my slow DOS mashine - there is
> no permissions to look so it is a single small file).

It does a 'stat()' call for each file - which is a little slow (but
ls -l would do the same).  I don't have a slow machine to test it on
(even my old machine is 60Mhz - but I'll do some testing on that to
compare).

> Why not to do "ls -l" or "dir" or so
> and than translate the output to internal HTML format?
I don't think it would be faster in terms of the underlying system calls.
But it should be possible to test/compare by using the code that interprets
directory listings from remote servers.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden