lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Can't retreive the source code

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Can't retreive the source code
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 06:35:30 -0500 (EST)

990119 Thomas Dickey replied to Jean-Pierre Radley:
>> But why can't slcc install an ftp daemon that honors REST?
> there's limited resources and the sysadmin doesn't want to give his boss
> the impression that we're draining them.
>> that's totally ridiculous!
>> If the connection resumed a download from the point of interruption,
>> all those connections I keep making would not start all over from byte 0,
>> and I'd grab a bit more of the file on each of my attempts.
>> Honoring REST would *reduce* the load on that site!!!
> probably - but someone has to find the program and install it.
> If you can tell how to do that (where/what/how),
> then it's a lot further along than complaining that it's not done.
> Remember we're guests on the machine, and don't provide income.

this is real progress: JPR needs to find out how to get an FTP daemon
which honors the  rest  command, when an approach can be made to SLCC.
we are guests there, but if we make it easy for them & ask politely,
they should be prepared to try to help; if not, we need to explore elsewhere
(don't i remember saying those words on another topic recently?).
anyway, the ball is now in JPR's half of the court.