lynx-dev

lynx-dev Comparing html rendition of lynx and explorer

From: vtailor
Subject: lynx-dev Comparing html rendition of lynx and explorer
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 20:29:57 -0600 (CST)

I have an old bookmark file that I converted from a `bullet' to a
`definition' file using Microsoft's html editor.  I then compared
how Microsoft's W98 explorer browser renders this all text html
file with the lynx version.  I found that, on some, but not all,
subcategories in the bookmark file, the first line of the category
goes all the way over the lynx left margin, instead of indenting
below the category as in the explorer rendition.

This seems consistent with other web pages where things that should
start on a separate (possibly indented) line are stuck to the end of
the previous line.  Which means that, either lynx is wrong, or
explorer is.

BTW.  I notice that superscripted digits show up as hatchmark graphics
characters under the Windows 98 version of lynx.  Does this mean that
this version is using the wrong translation table?  Because the terminal
character font used by W95/98 Dos windows has some superscript digits,
which should be what appears after translation by the lynx character-
translation ISO to OEM module.