lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Need some specific lynx help

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Need some specific lynx help
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 03:41:28 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 29 Jan 1999 address@hidden wrote:

> I would appreciate if some kind soul can help me out with the following
> specific problems that I am having on my RH5.2 installation. The most

You don't say what version that is.

> important issues are first:
>
> 1     A test script being accessed with lynxcgi url from a html
>       does not seem to run properly, seems like either the support
>       for lynxcgi is not compiled or the string variable is not passed.
>       The form command in the html is:
>       <FORM Method="get" Action="lynxcgi:/root/simpleform.cgi">
>
>       I suspect that the latter is the problem since lynxexec and others
>       in the same group complain that there is no compiled support, but
>       the lynxcgi does not. It is just silent as it shows another
>       screen.

Why not make the test still simpler - don't use a form at all, just
a link <A HREF="lynxcgi:/root/simplerscript.sh">...</A> to a script
with
  #! /bin/sh
  echo content-type: text/plain
  echo
  env
  exit

> 2     How do I compile lynx to put all the support and should I?

If this is your own personal machine (which I hope, since you seem
to be playing around as root!), compile in all the support you want...
There may be things you want to try out that the Redhat binary has not
enabled.

> 3     There are lot of links on my RH system that refer to machines
>       outside. I can probably download them. But I do want to retain
>       their original addresses. So how do I make it such that the
>       original addresses point to some directory in my computer
>       where to find these and also how to elegantly resolve the issue
>       if two of them have the same name at the toplevel. Note that
>       a lot of these are useful help files and they are actually
>       available under gnu, so no copyright issue. Just convenience.

I don't follow completely.  It would be easier if you just gave a
concrete exaple.

> 4     How do I get the archives of this mailing list on lynx-dev and
>       other help, and install elegantly on my system so that I do not
>       have to bother people with already solved questions. But please
>       do help me about the 1-3 since this is a little survival issue!!!

Does Redhat not install the lynx help files correctly?  Shame on them
if that's the case...  What do you get when you press '?'?

Start looking at <http://lynx.browser.org>.  You should find links there
leading to the archives.

> I support lynx because it cuts out the clutter and garbage that you are
> forced to see on other GUI browsers. Thus Lynx must develop and stay
> alive! Bravo!!

Actually I'd recommend that you get the latest development code
(currently 2.8.2dev.15) from <http://sol.slcc.edu/lynx/current/>
and start with compiling that.  You seem to have the right spirit :)
and it's not difficult.  The INSTALLATION file should tell you all
you need about configuration etc.

   Klaus