lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx does not open some http sites, forces download

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx does not open some http sites, forces download
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 16:24:42 +0300 (MSK)

29-Jan-99 13:38 Mykola Sereda wrote:
>> 990129 Mykola Sereda wrote:
>> > The version of Lynx installed on my ISP server (Sun4, SunOS) is 2.7.1.
>>
>> first, 2-7-1 is  c 2 yrs  out-of-date: either ask your ISP to upgrade
>> or (if you have shell access) you can compile the latest 2-8-1 yourself:

>       On this front, we, the few Lynx and Unix interactive shell users
> out of about 10 000 users of this ISP, may well try, but it's difficult.
> Besides, I don't think this is the reason of the problem.

You should to convince your ISP, there is no other way.

>> get it from  www.slcc.edu/lynx/release ; we want to help,

>       To install it on my own account, I would need to rent more server
> space (somebody else have done it, that's why I know).

Right, ~15M disk space for unzip/compile (temporarily)
and 1M for the resulting lynx binary.

>> but in practice Lynx volunteers don't have time to support older versions.

>       All right, but would you help our ISP tech support crew with the
> latest version? They claim that it's terribly difficult and they don't
> have time ...

It is usually very easy, just unzip, run "./configure"
than "make" and "make install"
You also need to look the INSTALLATION file first for interesting options.

>> it does look as if your problem is out-of-date character support (below).

>       Character support? It seems, in options, I have specified koi8-u
                                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
looks like your ISP hacked lynx manually since no koi8-u charset recognized
by lynx of any version, I am not sure whether they introduce new problems.
I whonder, however, how could you see koi8 and 1251 pages with lynx 2.7.1,
I had a similar problem with windows-1251 pages when using lynx before 2.8

Resent lynx versions (2.8+) keeps mapping of different character sets and
allow automatic translation between "document charset" and "display charset"
if they are different, using latin approximations if the display fonts does
not have a requested character.
I encourage you to try the latest development version since it is most safe
and bugfixed (compared against 2.8.1), this is not a rule but currently is.

> (which is inclusive, sort of a superset, of koi8-r) and I never have
> problems with sites with whatever character sets they use (koi8 or 1251)
> for that matter.

>> > There is a problem with many sites in Ukraine (not all).
>> > Instead of opening a www site, the Lynx presents: Download or Cancel.
>>
>> that's appropriate for eg an image file, but not for HTML.

>       Exactly. But this is a site.

>> > When saved, the http file looks like any other.
>> > What follows, is a transcript of one such session:
>> >
>> > @cam % lynx http://www.vechirniykyiv.com/
>>
>> i repeated this using 2-8-1rel.1 & got the document without any problem:
[...]

>> someone else may have more expert advice -- LP ? -- ,

Well, I am experienced in this area,
mainly because I live in Moscow and read russian texts with lynx.

Leonid Pauzner.