lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Problem with ^Z suspending: more ncurses

From: dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Problem with ^Z suspending: more ncurses
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 10:39:43 -0500 (EST)

> The problem I was having for such a long time on Solaris and plaguing
> Larry and the list about was that after exiting Lynx the "text" color,
> and, worse the background color of the status bar when I used Rob's
> style sheet code, would stay on the screen. Normally when I log in, my
> screen is white text on a black screen. It's always been that way since
> I started off with a funky telnet on Fujitsu FMR70s. Thought it was some
> kind of default. Not true -- it has to do with the emulation -- some you
> can change, others are hard coded in.
>
> Anyway, dinging around with my terminfo descriptor, I thought wouldn't
> it be neat if rather than 8 colors, I could use 16. Well that did it! No
> more "sticking" of colors. AND 256 pairs of colors! All I did was change
> "colors#8, pairs#64," to "colors#16, pairs#256,". What a discovery.

hmm - perhaps that's slang (it has some hardcoded assumptions about
bold+color which would be altered if you specify 16 colors).

but what does the terminal description look like (and which terminal emulator)?
the only one I remember seeing from you was the fmr one, which can only
paint 8 colors.

> BTW, I think Dave or someone asked about different problems I was having
> with vi when I moved up to a new hardware version of Solaris. Upgrading
> to a newer "screen" and replacing the termcap description for it solved
> all those problems.                       ^^^

I had a problem with screen's termcap (not terminfo) description this week.
Got a core dump on OSF/1 3.2 because it was larger than 1023 characters.
You might watch out for that (unless you're linking with GNU termcap).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
address@hidden