lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.16

From: Jacob Poon
Subject: Re: lynx-dev lynx2.8.2dev.16
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 12:09:24 -0500

On Mon, 8 Feb 1999 address@hidden wrote:

> 1999-02-08 (2.8.2dev.16)
> * bug fixes for TEXTAREA edit feature - KED
>   3. Replaces any embedded control chars with something printable (I chose a
>      "." char, since it is less "intrusive" than some other choices, like "*",
>      "+", "#", etc).  As with tabs, when some of these chars *are* rendered
>      into the TEXTAREA, strange things may happen.  This shouldn't be much of
>      limitation, since many of these chars perform line-editing or
>      system/job-control functions, when entered directly while one is in the
>      TEXTAREA.  They currently cannot be "escaped" and entered as actual text
>      chars, so far as I can tell.  Anyway ...  I don't know of any
> "legitimate"
>      reason for them to be used as TEXTAREA data, so for now, you get "dots"
> in
>      their place.

This may cause trouble with multibyte encoded characters.  UCS-2, UCS-4,
and UTF-16 are affected by it.  But since Lynx does not support these
encodings (yet), these problem are not pervalent.  Nevertheless, the
documentation should issue a warning to people who want to add support for
the encodings in question, or when using external editors that depends on
unsupported encodings.