lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx suggestion

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx suggestion
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 15:48:48 +0300 (MSK)

6-Feb-99 08:16 The Vrana Family wrote:
> I'm an avid Lynx user, using 2.7 on my ISP all the time, as well as the PC
> version of 2.8.  Thanks so much for a great program.

[...]
Discussing Lynx implementation of USEMAP you wrote about the proper
HTTP referer field:

> If this is not possible for some technical reason, how about the following
> alternative.  Some maps when you click on them, expand into a menu (not the
> one at treeloot, though).  You can then move to the link you want and press
> enter.  However, if the site requires the "click" to come from the prior
> page, it won't accept it properly.  It thinks (rightly so) that you're
> coming from an invalid page - the temporary page with the image map.  I
> suspect it's looking for the document.referrer to be the correct page.
> Could lynx be modified to give the site the document.referrer of the
> original page, rather than the locally rendered map?  A typical example is
> at www.successmarketplace.com/shops/benchmark, when you click on the Free
> Vacation banner.  (This one will work, but if you then enter another one at
> www.successmarketplace.com/shops/nmc, it's supposed to also work because
> it's a different site, but it isn't accepted, since it thinks you came from
> the same page again - and you did come from the same page, the locally
> rendered map.  This is not a cache issue - same thing happens if you quit
> lynx and start over.)

>  Thanks so much for considering this request.

I made a trace log from recent lynx version and seems the referer field OK.
(I have not checked when it was fixed :-).

                Lynx Trace Log (2.8.2dev.15)

User message: Trace ON!

LYpush[5]: address:LYNXIMGMAP:http://www.aha.ru/news/0229.html#b1
        title:[USEMAP:back.gif]
getfile: getting http://www.aha.ru/news/0103.html

[...]

Writing:
GET http://www.aha.ru/news/0103.html HTTP/1.0
Host: www.aha.ru
Accept: text/html, text/plain, text/sgml, */*;q=0.01
Accept-Encoding: gzip, compress
Referer: http://www.aha.ru/news/0229.html

Sending HTTP request.

[...]