lynx-dev

lynx-dev Re: [dev16] patchlet for makefile.in

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: lynx-dev Re: [dev16] patchlet for makefile.in
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 13:56:35 -0800

On Thu, Feb 11, 1999, address@hidden (address@hidden) said:

| > I'm getting tired of forgetting to manually rm src/Lynx.leaks
| > when I make a patch.  Also, since FreeBSD (by default) prefixes
| > its core files with the prog name, let's nuke those as well.
|
| Hint:  Building in a directory created outside the source directory
| has greatly alleviated such problems for me.

Yeah, but I'm usually *in* the src dir when I make changes, and then
just recompile and run the new binary from there.

Then when I want to do the diff bit, I run a  make distclean  from
the main dir.  That cleans everything up nicely, but was still leaving
the "execution droppings" I mentioned.  Easy enough to just ask make(1)
to clean 'em up.

| I have a makefile target that generates patches for me.  Should I
| submit that as a patch?

Let's at least take a look at it.  I'm a big fan of automation.

However ..

| If people used it, it would lead to
| more consistency of style in patches submitted to this list.

.. don't be surprised if that doesn't happen.  People seem to have
their own pet ways of working (myself included).  Eg: context vs.
unified diffs; emacs vs. vi; etc.

/kim