lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev 8-bit chars and LYgetstr

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev 8-bit chars and LYgetstr
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 18:15:50 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Laura Eaves wrote:

> Well it fails in lynx272 so I think it's been broken for a long time.
> Until recently I haven't noticed as I never had occasion to use
> 8-bit char codes.
> Does anyone else use cp437 as their display charset?

I use cp437 as the default on my DOS system at home. When I use lynx
on my ISP (currently dev.14 built with SLang), I usually keep it set
to Display Charset ISO 8859-1. I connect with MSKermit, which does
the character translations. I can easily set MSKermit to Transparent
and my lynx Display Charset to cp437. I don't think that I've seen
the problems that you were complaining about. My DOS machine is set
up to switch easily between cp437 and cp819 (which is the same as
ISO 8859-1), so it should be straightforward to look at different
combinations of settings. Try writing to me off the list with your
exact settings and what you see. I'll see if I can reproduce it. I
still suspect that your problem is with your communications program.
Have you tried using kermit? Have you tried changing the code page on
your home machine to cp819? If your communications program is really
transparent, then the codes should look fine (assuming they are in the
Latin1 code set).
                             Doug
__
Doug Kaufman