lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev dev17 problem (still)

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev dev17 problem (still)
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 15:13:37 -0500 (EST)

990217 i reported:
> on this IRIX 5.3 system i configured & made 2-8-2dev.17 apparently ok,
> but upon executing it got garbage instead of the start page;
> also, ordinary keys aren't recognised -- eg  v  -- , tho' the F-keys are:
> eg F1 gets a few lines loosely resembling parts of the Main Help Page;
>  ^g  won't exit, but  ^c  will ( Q  doesn't work, of course).
> 2-8-1rel.1 continues to run ok in another Screen window.
> i customised  userdefs.h  &  lynx.cfg  to pick up my usual preferences.

i started over, downloading the package afresh into an empty subdirectory.
carefully editing  userdefs.h  &  lynx.cfg  took  60 min ,
using diff files from my 2-8-1rel.1 version; configure & make took  20 min .

 configure  reported it was using  cc  &  curses  (system versions),
it couldn't find library for  inet_addr  function (warning),
it didn't accept my local  lynx.cfg , using the system version instead
-- NB this could be a problem, as the sysadmin still has 2-6 ;
also NB, this DID NOT happen with 2-8-1: has anything changed? --
i'm always amused to read it is `checking if TRUE/FALSE defined' ...

 make  warned it had modified an rvalue in  LYReadCFG.c 1043 ,
pointing to the 3rd  (char *)  in that line.

after all this, the result was exactly as described above (again).
i tried telling it  -cfg=~/ld17/lynx2-8-2/lynx.cfg ,
in case that was the problem, but without success
(i can't do anything within Lynx, as it won't accept letter commands).

the binary is  c 10 %  bigger than 2-8-1 :
what is it compiling in which wasn't in 2-8-1 ? that's one place to start;
another is that it won't accept simple keystroke commands: that's wierd.

i can submit the configure script i use
(unchanged from 2-8-1, except for subdirectory locations)
&  diff  files for the  config.cache  &  lynx_cfg.h  files
for 2-8-1rel.1 & 2-8-2dev.17 .  would any of these help?

i've done what an intelligent user,
who isn't familiar with all the latest changes in charsets, i18n etc etc,
would do to use the latest development version
on a generally well-managed system.
sensible suggestions are not only welcome, but needed (smile).