lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx suggestion

From: The Vrana Family
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx suggestion
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 21:43:52 -0500

Well, unfortunately, with the maps I try to click on, Lynx sends what I
view to be the wrong referer, according to the trace.  If you go to
www.successmarketplace.com/shops/nmc and click on the "win a free vacation"
map, you'll get a 3 item menu.  The lynx trace correctly shows that the nmc
page is the referer for the map.  If you click on the third item on the
map, you'll get an entry form.  The Lynx trace shows the referer as the map
file itself, which has an address of www.free-vacation.com/maps/banr1s.map
rather than the original nmc page (which I'd like it to say is the
referer).  The free-vacation site keeps track of which site you're coming
from, and thinks you've come from a page (map) on their own site, rather
than the nmc (sponsor) page.  This behaves the same with my ISP's Unix
version of 2.7 and my Win95 version of 2.8.1rel1.

If nobody thinks changing the way the referer works with maps, how about my
alternative suggestion of being able to tell Lynx what coordinates to send
to a map, rather than the default 0,0?  Through trial and error, the user
could figure out what coordinates to send.  This would be an option, rather
than receiving the 3 item menu in this case.

In any event, thanks to the list for an EXCELLENT browser.

--Bruce Vrana

----------
> From: Leonid Pauzner <address@hidden>
> To: address@hidden; address@hidden
> Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx suggestion
> Date: Thursday, February 11, 1999 7:48 AM
>
> 6-Feb-99 08:16 The Vrana Family wrote:
> > I'm an avid Lynx user, using 2.7 on my ISP all the time, as well as the
PC
> > version of 2.8.  Thanks so much for a great program.
>
> [...]
> Discussing Lynx implementation of USEMAP you wrote about the proper
> HTTP referer field:
>
> > If this is not possible for some technical reason, how about the
following
> > alternative.  Some maps when you click on them, expand into a menu (not
the
> > one at treeloot, though).  You can then move to the link you want and
press
> > enter.  However, if the site requires the "click" to come from the
prior
> > page, it won't accept it properly.  It thinks (rightly so) that you're
> > coming from an invalid page - the temporary page with the image map.  I
> > suspect it's looking for the document.referrer to be the correct page.
> > Could lynx be modified to give the site the document.referrer of the
> > original page, rather than the locally rendered map?  A typical example
is
> > at www.successmarketplace.com/shops/benchmark, when you click on the
Free
> > Vacation banner.  (This one will work, but if you then enter another
one at
> > www.successmarketplace.com/shops/nmc, it's supposed to also work
because
> > it's a different site, but it isn't accepted, since it thinks you came
from
> > the same page again - and you did come from the same page, the locally
> > rendered map.  This is not a cache issue - same thing happens if you
quit
> > lynx and start over.)
>
> >  Thanks so much for considering this request.
>

> I made a trace log from recent lynx version and seems the referer field
OK.